Monday, June 25, 2012

The eve of something big

It's the eve of Caitlin's 5th birthday.  FIVE YEARS.  Is it over the top to say that it flew by?  It so totally did.  Five years of anything is a big deal, five years of marriage, the five years between 16 and 21.  So on the eve of what seems like a big deal, I'm reflecting. 

On motherhood and on me.

Caitlin in utero.


Five years ago today, I was fat, hot, and super preggo.  I was in pain, and peed every time I moved (tmi?).  I also was half way through a gallon of mint chocolate chip when I switched to rocky road.  I'm being super serious.  And I was so darn mad that this baby had missed all three of her due dates.

I was also naive.  Naive at the change that was about to happen.  That it wouldn't effect me so.  I was lost in a motherhood dream where I was blissful, on a cloud of happiness, with a child who slept and ate, and pooped perfectly.  Where everything was perfect.  Just like the books.

Five years ago it was still just me and the hubbs.  Watching Daniel Tosh, before he was Tosh.0.  Dropping "f" bombs about every little thing, like empty gallons of rocky road.  It was just the two of us, and a decked out pimped out nursery, a very expensive breast pump, and the hope that in the next month we'd get some sleep.

Five years ago, I didn't know this little person named Caitlin.  Who would challenge every fiber of my being from the moment she arrived.  I didn't know that she would have my hair and my eyes, but daddy's personality.  That she would hate to sleep, but love to be held.  Constantly.  I didn't know that she would challenge every rule of potty training, challenge every definition of motherhood, challenge every idea I had about love.

I had no idea that she would change me into a better person.  She would teach me everything I needed to know about being a mom.  That she would demand nothing more from me than love.  Just love. 

I didn't know that Caitlin would be one of my greatest collaborations, and assign me my hardest job to date. 

Five years ago I was just Megan, pregnant and waiting.

Today I'm mom, learning, loving, and living the best part of my life.



 
 
Meet Joanna!  She blogs at Moda Mama.
Follow Joanna's life and fashion diaries proving
that motherhood can be fashionable.


 
 

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Happy Birthday Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. Happy Birthday, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a powerful post and wonderful reflection of the last five years. Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Happy Birthday, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post! Happy Birthday Caitlin!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete
  6. How precious! Happy birthday to Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to her! And happy five years to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! Happy Birthday to Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn it!!! You make me cry all the time. I do not know if it's just because I'm j.u.s.t that emotional right now or what. But, you do. I loved this. Shew. What a blessing. She is beautiful. I hope she has an awesome birthday. And, I'm with you on eating the ice cream b4 birth...I did that and a jar of pickles. :) And, I've dropped lots of Fbombs.

    But, when Caitlin gets older I hope she starts a blog. I want her, well both of them, to read how awesome their Mommy is and write about YOU! :)

    *Hugs*
    ~Stepha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the sweetest! Seriously, best comment ever! I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and celebrating never gets old.
      Also there is nothing more satisfying in the world than eating icecream while pregnant with reckless abandon!
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful post!! I felt very similar before the birth of our first! They have a way of challenging everything you thought you knew, no? Happy birthday to your girl!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be first babies. Like they have to break us in!!

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday little one! Beautiful post, Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet post. Babies do have a way of challenging and changing us for the better. Congrats on that special girl's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All the changes have been for the better. It's crazy but that has to be the blessing behind the blessing!

      Delete
  13. happy birthday to caitlin! hope her day is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So you know everytime I see your comments I blush! How is Mr. A? I'd call him baby A, but he is just too handsome for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for all your comments friends! Miss Caitlin is very excited that all mommy's friends "On the blog" have wished her a happy birthday!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy HAPPY Birthday to little miss Caitlin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My own little Catelyn will be 5 soon... it's amazing how they change our lives, isn't it?

    Stopping by from SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great reflection, they truly change our world :) (SITS)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful post. What a lovely tribute to the way our children change us.

    Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from SITS. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete