Blink, blink, blink.


It occurred to me today, as I sat in a pedicure chair that my darling baby girl is indeed no longer a baby.  She is a preschooler, a big girl if you will.  Who can and will sit quietly at a manicure station coloring and working through a Hello Kitty activty book with Hello Kitty glitter pens.  I blinked.  I seriously blinked and then she was four...

Where did my baby go?  The one who kept me up all hours of the night?  The one who relied on me for every meal?  This morning she informed me that she could get her muffin "herself".  Where did the crazy, wall climbing toddler go?  The one I couldn't take anywhere?  The one who sent me into panic attacks at Target and the grocery store?  She loves to shop at Target.  Even for clothes, even more hhopping love for shoes.  And again, I blinked.

What really got me was her joke telling skills yesterday...

Caitlin:  Mom!  Knock, knock... 

Me:  Who's there?

Caitlin:  Banana

Me:  Banana who?

Caitlin:  Knock, knock...

Me:  Who's there?

Caitlin:  Banana

Me:  Banana who?

Caitlin:  Knock, knock...

Me:  Who's there?

Caitlin:  Banana

Me:  Banana who? (getting frustrated, but then realize where this is going)

Caitlin:  Knock, knock

Me:  Who's there?

Caitlin:  Orange!

Me:  Orange WHO?

Caitlin:  Orange you glad I didn't say Banana???  Hahahahahaha!

I laughed too!  Because this wasn't a joke we learned together... This is one she picked up from Backyardagains.  This was all her.  To tell you the truth she delivered it flawlessly.

Again I blinked and my baby is now a big girl.  With jokes, and style, and a mind all her own.  I have to remind myself how precious this is, and how lucky I am to have her.  I'm trying to remind myself, they are only small for such a short time.  So I tell myself to "mind your temper, embrace this mess, live in these moments".  Because soon these moments will be just memories...

Happy Blogging,
Megan