Wishes

I had to laugh.  Today is my birthday and I have been overwhelmed by the love and wishes I have received on Facebook.  I expected my usual friends that typically post to my wall to chime in, but there were lots.  It was great that they took a little time to type a little bday wish.  Awesome!

The laughing was sparked by one wish in particular.  It was from a fellow mommy who hoped that I had a happy birthday and got to sleep in, got a good nap, and at least one hot meal.  It hit me that my wishes for my birthday have completely changed since becoming a parent.  Yes those are perfectly acceptable birthday wishes this year.  And while the first two really didn’t pan out, the last one sure did.  And it was a great birthday gift!

Here I am, at the close of another birthday and this year I have been reflecting just a tad bit more.  I remember lots of birthdays.  Like my 16th, where I failed my driving test and had a nervous breakdown.  My 21st, where I never thought I would use the words “stripper” and “milk” in the same sentence.  My 30th, the first one as a mom, which I couldn’t really relax and enjoy, because my head was at home with my 9 month old. 

At 33, REALLY 33???  I’m really happy.  I can actually say that.  It’s amazing and true.  I feel blessed and educated at the same time.   Happy that I’m no longer worried about the extra weight or bags under my eyes.  Happy that I’m no longer waiting for him to call, because we’re married.  Over the moon because I made it, through my turbulent 20’s.  Made it through that first horrifying yet gratifying year of motherhood, and was even blessed with the opportunity to have another child.

I’m happy that I didn’t freak when I hit 30.  It wasn’t a big deal, since I had hit many of my major markers.  I was married (finally!) and I had a baby.  I had made good time and was ready to embrace 30.  I have embraced my 30s.  I’m way more confident than I was in my teens and even my 20s.  I have a more realistic sense of self.   

I mean let’s be honest; I leave the house freely without makeup, something I would never do in my 20s.  I have “nice clothes” that are only worn on special occasions, because you really can’t wear jeans, flip flops and American Eagle sweatshirts to everything.  And doesn’t it really take guts to throw caution to the wind and go one more day without washing your hair?  You have to truly believe in yourself to roll with the punches of motherhood.

Yes, I’m happy and healthy at 33, but by no means am I aging gracefully.  While looking in the mirror it has been decided that I need night cream.  This has been quite devastating.  I mean, grey hair at 21 was tough, but Clairol has hooked me up.  NIGHT CREAM?  Eye cream, exfoliator, vanishing cream?  Is this really in my vocabulary?  Yes, yes it is.  And now I’m not so self assured.  Are those laugh lines, are those crow’s feet?  Is it time to host a Botox party???

Ok I’m getting ahead of myself here.  I saw a bikini clad Jenny McCarthy in US Weekly today and she is 38.  She looks amazing and so I’m convinced it’s possible to continue to look great well into my 30s.  Of course I’m sure I’ll be minus the gym time and cosmetics but I’ll make it work right?  We, a collective group of mothers, aging faster than the speed of light; we will make it work…. RIGHT???

So it begins.  The slow curve to 35, then the downhill free fall to 40.   There is hope.  No literally there is hope, it’s “Hope in a Jar” cream by Benefit.  I’m going take my birthday money and buy some.  Hoping it will ensure that my 30s are unforgettable and are blessed as they have been thus far.  The hope of being carded, which isn’t something that has happened recently. 

With hope that my 40s will look just like Jules Cobb’s 40s.  With my own cul-de-sac crew, with my own “Big Joe” and a rocking body.  Yes, I wish to move to Cougar Town for my 40th birthday.  This is my current birthday wish, and I’m going to keep on wishing it until it comes true.  Well at least partly true.  I’d like her wardrobe, and I think I’d rather be Ellie.  She’s more my style.

Another birthday, come and gone.  Plenty blessed, and lots of wishes granted. 

Happy Birthday to me… And many more….

Happy blogging,
Megan